Skip to main content

End of the road

Game over man.  No, but seriously, it's over.
Today marks the final day of this Group Study Program, with most of the group carrying on to other things tomorrow.
It's kind of a bittersweet blend, wishing it would continue, but I'm also ready to head home.
While I personally have a couple extra days in Japan, the past 2 weeks have been nothing short of amazing.
I was able to try so many foods I would never have the chance to truly experience back home, and even some things which Japan just manages to out-do in every sense of the word.  While this blog is primarily focused on street foods, this post is going to act as more of a review on the last major meal of the program.

Yesterday, we had our final banquet meal of the program, at a restaurant named "Porto", inside the Tokyo Prince Hotel.  The restaurant is an all-you-can-eat buffet like you've never seen before.  Like, this place is on an entirely different level.  The hotel and restaurant are very high class, with a surprisingly fair price (maximum of 5,500 per person).  The offerings are totally off the chart though, they seemed to have everything you could want. Sushi, Tempura, Wagyu, Roast Beef, Crab, Ribs, Rice, Desserts, and so on.  Personally, the highlight for me was the chance to try true wagyu beef, as this is normally a very high-priced item and Japan is really the only place in the world where you can get the authentic thing.  I made sure to get a few rounds of it.  Better yet, the wagyu was made to order, seared with a blowtorch over a massive chunk of rock salt.  Describing the richness of the flavour is something I'm not sure I could do justice, it was absolutely incredible. The sushi and tempura was also made on the spot as you reached that point in the buffet, ensuring that the food was fresh and not sitting out waiting for a customer to come along.

The entire meal is something I'll have memories of for a long time to come, and the value was truly something else.  I'd estimate a meal such as this would have easily averaged over $120 per person in Calgary.
I'm really going to miss this place…

Comments