Skip to main content
Hey guys! So it's almost been a week since we first landed in Japan, how crazy is that? I can't tell if the time has flown by or if the past few days have felt like a life time; we have seen so much, and experienced so much it's hard to believe there's still so much more to see! I would love to talk about everything we've seen and done here but that would be a completely different blog all together so I'll just stick to the good stuff; the food.
I'm slightly surprised with how little I've seen in terms of street food, there isn't as much as I had anticipated there to be. We have however been able see and stop at a few places so far. Mostly I've chosen the street foods that are more dessert style. The first type of street food I tried was strawberry mochi; I believe was it was is deep fried rice flour filled with red bean paste and covered in strawberry flavoured sugar. Not going to lie, it was not my favourite haha. I'll be attaching photos at the end for reference. The next type of street food we tried was crepes in Harajuku, this was by far my favourite street food I have tried so far. To order you in steered your yen into a vending style machine and press the button for the type of crepe you want and a ticket comes out. You then hand your ticket to the person at the stand and you get to watch them make it right in front of you which is pretty cool. We ordered strawberry and whipped cream crepes and they were to die for! Definitely would like to back and get more before we leave. Today before going to a traditional tea ceremony, we stopped by the cutest donut stand. All of the donuts were shaped like different animals such as cats, mice, alligators, monikers, turtles and so on. I was expecting them to taste similar to a Canadian donut but it tasted a lot like sesame which I was not expecting at first but it grew on me after a few bites.
I have found that all of the people working at the food stands, as well as everywhere else, have been very kind and friendly. I am also surprised that almost all of them speak English, even if it is only very minimally. Everything is also extremely cheap here compared to back home. For example, the cute animal shaped donuts here were only 260 yen, something like that back home would be sold in a fancy donut shop and cost somewhere between 5-10 dollars. I'm definitely not going to be used to the high price of things once I get home though that's for sure!
To quickly veer off the street food talk for a second, I need to talk about all the other snacks they have over here! Some of the things they sell at the convince stores is crazy! It would take me way to long to tell you about it all so I'll just tell you about my favourite. Two words: BBQ Cheetos. These flavoured Cheetos are mind blowing! I am for sure going to stock up on them before I head home because they are the best crunchy snack I have ever had, I'm getting hungry just thinking about them!

That's all for now! Check back with you soon!
Cheers,
Ashley



Strawberry Mochi


Cute Donuts


BBQ Cheetos

Comments