Skip to main content

The End

Hey everyone! I left Japan yesterday morning to continue my travels and I am now in Hong Kong for two days before heading over to Thailand and Indonesia. While I am sad to be finished my time in Japan I am excited to be gone for a few reason. The most obvious being to be able to continue my adventures around Asia, but another is to have some different food!
While I really enjoyed a majority of the food in Japan, I quickly became homesick for the typical food that is readily available in Canada but isn't in Japan. Items such as fruits and vegetables were a lot harder to come by and more expensive than other food items. I noticed that most of the food in Japan is quite heavy and filling. If the food wasn't dead fried or covered in tempura it was carb or sugar heavy. I have noticed while in Japan I would get a lot fuller faster but get hungry a lot quicker and more often then I do back home. I am not sure if this is due to the food I have been eating in Japan, the amount of walking I am doing here, or a combination of the both but it is definitely not something I am used to.
I found it very interesting that food items that in Canada would normally be served warm or hot, were often served at room temperature or cold in Japan. This included items such as hamburger and other meats, potatoes and other vegetables, eggs, some tempura fish, etc. This was definitely something I could not get used to. It was always a surprise biting into a normally hot item and it being cold in your mouth no matter how many times it happened!
All that being said I did enjoy almost all of the food I had while in Japan. The sushi and sashimi was some of the freshest and most delicious I have ever had. The final buffet we had together at the Prince Hotel in Tokyo was one of the best meals I had by far. The vast variety of food was almost overwhelming, but that did not stop me from going back for seconds and also getting a huge plate of dessert. I have also never been so happy to have such a wide variety of fruits and vegetables before, and the selection wasn't even that large! The snacks and even makeshift meals one can get from the convince stores here (711 and Family Mart specifically) are much more extravagant than what one can purchase at convince stores back in Canada. I plan on keeping my eyes open to items they sell in convince stores in the other places I visit in Asia to see if they are similar to those in Japan. I also plan on keeping an eye out and indulging in other street foods that I come into contact with throughout the rest of my travels in Asia, especially in Hong Kong as I've been told that the street food here is also amazing just like it is in Japan.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Japan and I hope I can go back and explore more one day.

Cheers,
Ashley

Comments